343 Main Street
Great Barrington, MA
- Alander Group
The former Whalen and Kastner Garage in Great Barrington was built in 1922 and served as a Ford dealership that became known as Mahaiwe Motors during the early days of the automobile industry. Architect Joseph MacArthur Vance of Pittsfield, best known for the Mahaiwe Theater and Bascom Lodge, designed the building. In 2017, a community member recalled that the garage exit was “down a very steep ramp, the edge of which could not be seen as the driver approached the door. It was like driving out into space. Far better than any roller coaster thrill.” Today, after the departure of Berkshire Community College the building is mostly vacant and in need of substantial rehabilitation. The public-facing storefronts are vacant, leaving a big gap in a key downtown anchor location.
AHF is assisting current owner Alander Group with securing funding through various sources which invest in community historic preservation and economic development efforts.